Unit 6: Computer Based Education
After studying this unit you should be able to:
- Understand the terms Computer Based Education, Computer Based Testing, Computer Managed Instruction, Computer Assisted Instruction, and Web Based Instruction.
- Understand how computer games, simulations and virtual worlds can be used in education.
- Use a Computer Assisted Instruction (CAI) or Web Based Instruction (WBI) program to learn "something" that you did not previously know how to do. You get to define the "something."
- Demonstrate your competence with whatever you learned by preparing a section of your electronic portfolio that demonstrates what you learned.
- Reflect upon the benefits and detriments to computer assisted instruction/web based instruction and discuss these with your classmates.
Kulik, C. C., & Kulik, J. A. (1991). Effectiveness of computer-based instruction: An updated analysis. Computers in Human Behavior, 7, 75–94.
Sitzmann, T., Kraiger, K., Stewart, D., & Wisher, R. (2006). The comparative effectiveness of web-based and classroom instruction: A meta-analysis. Personnel Psychology, 59 (3), 623-664.
Khan, Salman (2011). Salman Khan talk at TED 2011 (from ted.com). Available: http://www.khanacademy.org/video/salman-khan-talk-at-ted-2011--from-ted-com?playlist=Khan+Academy-Related+Talks+and+Interviews
To see my experiences with Computer Based Instruction, click here:Computer Based Instruction