Unit 8: Web 2.0
- After studying this unit you should be able to:
- Explain what Web 2.0 means, and what it doesn't mean.
- Differentiate between Web 2.0 applications and Web 1.0 applications.
- Understand how Web 2.0 applications are changing distance education and how they may dramatically change distance education in the future.
- Use a number of different Web 2.0 applications.
- Discuss the potential use of Web 2.0 applications in distance education.
Anderson, P. (February, 2007). What is Web 2.0? Ideas, technologies and implications for education. Available at: http://www.jisc.ac.uk/media/documents/techwatch/tsw0701b.pdf
Blogger (2007). What's a Blog? Available at: http://www2.blogger.com/tour_start.g
Cohen, N. (2007). A history department bans citing Wikipedia as a research source. In New York Times. Available at: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/21/education/21wikipedia.html?
ex=1174622400&en=4a6d488fe3415799&ei=5070 Note: You need to obtain a free membership to the New York Times online to access this article – it is worthwhile getting this membership, as the New York Times is an excellent news source.
LeFever, L. (n.d.) Blogs in Plain English. Seattle, WA: Commoncraft. (Available: http://www.commoncraft.com/video/blogs)
LeFever, L. (n.d.) RSS in Plain English. Seattle, WA: Commoncraft. (Available: http://www.commoncraft.com/video/rss)
O'Reilly, T. (2005). What is Web 2. design patterns and business models for the next generation of software. Available at: http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/oreilly/tim/news/2005/09/30/what-is-web-20.html
Teaching, Learning, and Technology Group (2007). Exploration guide: Educational uses of Blogs, Wikis, RSS Feeds, etc. Available at: http://www.tltgroup.org/blogs.htm.
Keeping up with Web 2.0 applications is a daunting task. I've started to follow the Discovery Education publications as they have provided me with useful and well organized tools for education. The most recent publication can be found here:
To view my personal collection of experiences with Web 2.0 affordances, please click here:Web 2.0 Affordances